Seva = Selfless Service.
This Sanskrit word translates as the act of performing work without expectation or thought of reward. The work itself and connection are the gifts.
The Movement Center offers our Seva Internship Program to support those who wish to immerse themselves in a meditation and yoga practice. The usual tuition payment is partially offset through this selfless service to the community. Our Seva Internships are for a minimum of one month with the ability to apply for additional months and possibly the residential program.
The Movement Center is supported by our students, greater community and our many guests who visit from all over the globe – our Seva Internship Program students continue to enrich this experience.
UNDERSTANDINGS & COMMITMENTS
Your comfort and the quality of your experience are important to getting the most from your stay at The Movement Center. Please consider the following program requirements, expectations, and guidelines prior to applying:
- The Internship Program commitment is a minimum of one month. In your third week, you can apply for an additional month.
- You are making a commitment to being part of a large, diverse community of individuals at all stages of practice. You will most likely be sharing a room with one to three other guests.
- Internship assignments will be approximately 30 hours each week. Participation in the program requires a high degree of flexibility as this time could vary from day-to-day or week-to-week. It is our goal to provide as structured a schedule as possible; however, we have learned over the years that “things come up.”
- You'll be expected to engage in seva for an average of 30 hours per week.
- Seva Internships require you to be physically able to participate. Ensure your mental, physical and emotional health are managed and ready for the types of Seva Internship Program requirements listed.
- You should have the ability to take direction and an understanding of the dynamic nature of our center and changes to schedules and assignments.
- You will/may be required to participate in such areas as gardening, kitchen/cooking, housekeeping, retreat services, marketing or office services, carpentry or general house maintenance. If you have a specialty trade or skill (i.e. electrician, chef, carpenter, etc., please indicate this on your application)
- It's important to be comfortable with working, living and practicing with limited privacy and space, in close proximity with a community of diverse individuals.
- You must carry your own health insurance and be responsible for your own personal financial needs throughout your stay (i.e. personal products, clothing, transportation, medications, etc.).
- Active participation in daily meditation, spiritual healing and puja programs is expected.
Commitment to the Seva Internship Program and the schedule is dynamic based on the needs and talents available during that time. It is our goal to support you in attending daily yoga and meditation classes while also honoring the responsibilities designed for your unique retreat.
A sample daily schedule may be as follows:
- 6:30 am – 7:30 am Morning Meditation & Lalita Trishati puja
- 7:30 – 8:00 am Breakfast
- 9:00 am – 12:00 pm (3 hrs) Kitchen prep, Laundry, Gardening and/or General Housekeeping/Maintenance
- 12:00 pm – 1:30 pm Lunch Break
- 2:00 – 4:00 (2 hrs) Kitchen prep, Laundry, Gardening and/or General Housekeeping/Maintenance
- 5:45 – 7:00 pm Yoga
- 7:00 – 8:00 Meditation, Dharma Talk & Chanting
- 8:15 – 9:00 Dinner
The Movement Center offers residents and guests a daily breakfast and dinner. On Sundays, only brunch is served. Lunches and Sunday dinners are the responsibility of each retreat participant. Limited snacks are available (bread (both gluten and gluten free), peanut butter, cereals, and teas). Kitchenettes are available to store personal foods and cook your own meals.
We prepare simple, healthy meals using organic and locally sourced products whenever possible. When animal proteins are served, there will always be vegetarian options provided. The kitchen staff will also provide gluten free options when required. If your dietary needs are specialized, please consider supplementing your supply. Again, kitchenettes are available to store and cook.
All Seva Internship Program participants stay at The Movement Center ashram. Rooming for participants is with up to four students per room. Bedding and towels are provided.
As an ashram, we focus on a different connection and encourage you to give yourself the time to work on building your spiritual practice. Limited internet is available in the building.
The monthly tuition for the Seva Internship Program is $500. This is a discount of approximately $800 from our usual monthly rates for personal retreats.
All candidates must complete and submit a Seva Internship Program Application. All applications will be reviewed and selected candidates contacted for follow-up. An interview will be held in-person or via Skype with one of the senior teachers. There is an application fee of $50, which, if you are accepted, will be applied to your monthly tuition charge. If you are not accepted, the application fee will be refunded.