Yoga practiced as therapy helps put people in touch with the source of healing within to address specific health concerns.
Through skillful combining of movement, breath, and focused awareness, yoga releases deeply held patterns, restores a nourishing flow of physical, mental-emotional, and spiritual energy within the body, and helps you progress toward improved health and wellbeing.
We will work one-on-one with you to create short and longer-term yoga practices that support you as you deal with specific health concerns.
Why choose therapeutic yoga?
Targeted use of carefully aligned movement integrated with breath has been shown to reduce stress, promote healing, enhance immune response, restore muscular balance and structural integrity, alleviate pain, and increase mobility. Consider therapeutic yoga if:
- You have back pain, or other structural issues such as stiffness, pain, or weakness in your neck and shoulders, hips, knees, and feet.
- You are dealing with an illness and want to learn how to reframe your experience and relieve stress in mind and body.
- You are recovering from injury or surgery and want a personal yoga practice informed by a clear medical understanding of your condition that supports your individual needs.
- You are dealing with addiction, insomnia, weight issues, fatigue, anxiety, or depression.
People have come to us for support with the following conditions
- Back pain
- Knee, hip, and shoulder injuries, carpal tunnel syndrome, athletic sprains and strains, herniated discs
- Musculoskeletal alignment issues causing pain, such as scoliosis, sacroiliac joint dysfunction, foot pain
- Post hip or knee replacement support and rehabilitation
- Neurological conditions such as multiple sclerosis, cerebral palsy, Parkinson’s disease, sciatic nerve pain, complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS), and fibromyalgia
- Breathing disorders, such as COPD, asthma, shortness of breath, panic disorder
- Inflammatory conditions such as osteoarthritis , rheumatoid arthritis, and chronic fatigue syndrome
- Endocrine and hormonal disorders including menstrual pain, PMS, and menopause
- Anxiety, depression, insomnia, hyperactivity
- Hypertension, hypotension, dizziness
- Cancer during treatment and recovery
- Muscular dystrophy
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), chronic indigestion, constipation
What to expect
Two initial sessions.
The first session is 90 minutes. It’s a time to establish a rapport with your instructor, and includes movement, conversation, exploration of your goals, and assessment of your needs. You'll leave your first session with the beginnings of your practice, and an initial plan for session two.
Your second session is a 60 minute follow-up. It involves some tweaking of your first practice with additional content. You’ll discuss short term and longer term goals, and work out an interval for scheduling subsequent sessions.
Please come a little early for your first session. The receptionist will have you fill out a standard student waiver.
Wear clothes that allow for ease of movement. Somewhat form-fitting is best so your instructor can observe your structure and movements.
Handouts and followup
Your personal practice sequence is created and explained during the session so you can take it home with you. If you have questions later, you are welcome to contact your teacher between sessions.
Your first two sessions: 150.00
Subsequent 1 hour sessions:
1 session: 70.00
Series of 5 sessions: 315.00
Series of 10 sessions: 595.00
- If a teacher travels to you, additional costs may be incurred. The Movement Center is not able to bill insurance.
- We accept MasterCard, VISA, cash, or personal checks.
- Prepayment is required for all sessions.
- Cancellations must be made 24 hours in advance.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours in advance, a refund will not be issued, however you are welcome to reschedule your session or gift it to another.
- A limited number of sliding scale appointments are available at any given time. Please inquire.
Start here by filling out and submitting an intake form.
Thank you! We look forward to meeting you.