A commitment to affordable yoga classes for everyone. We appreciate that a yearly financial commitment to yoga is not possible for everyone. Community Yoga classes are $5/class, or whatever is affordable. No one will be turned away for lack of funds. These are 1 to 1 1/4-hour practices offered 5 times a week. They can be characterized as “Open Level,” i.e. taught for the average student who does not need special attention in class. If you have taken some yoga before, or even if it’s been a long time since you’ve practiced, you’ll likely do fine in Community Yoga.
Senior’s yoga is a class designed for individuals 62 years and up. Traditionally yoga was taught to students individually by the teacher. In “Senior’s Only” yoga we use that same approach because older bodies have such unique histories and patterns. The teacher, Lenore Bijan, works with students to improve proprioceptive balance (the balance one has – or really needs – with eyes closed), of major importance in preventing serious injury from falls. Because the rhythm underlying and empowering everything in yoga is the breath, its awareness and control will be a vital part of each class.
The first thing to understand is that you can get started with hatha yoga just as you are. Sometimes people think they need to change their diet, lose weight, or get in shape before starting yoga. Not so! We offer beginner classes that take you step by step through the essential yoga poses (asanas) so you can feel confident about practicing them safely. We teach you conscious breathing skills for a deeper experience of the asanas, for stress management, and for meditation.
Weather you are new to yoga, or an experienced practitioner wanting to deepen your understanding of the basics of hatha yoga, we have various options for you: a Beginners Yoga Imersion starting on September 17th, and two regular ongoing classes that will support you your practice:
BEGINNERS YOGA IMMERSION
Led by Natacha Sagalovsky RYT500.
Sunday November 26, 10:00a-Noon
This Beginners Yoga Immersion will introduce you to the basic building blocks of a yoga practice, and the five levels that serve as guidelines to optimize your experience of yoga practice.
By learning to move with, 1) Alignment of the body, 2) Conscious breathing, 3) Inner awareness, and 4) Releasing tensions in the body and system 5) Presence, or a change of state.
Once you understand how to use these tools, you can always bring them to your yoga practice to experience a greater flow of energy and sense of well-being.
MASTERING YOGA BASICS
An ongoing class with Susan Martin
For those wishing to learn about hatha yoga postures and the practice. Learn the essential alignment, breathwork, and tools for your practice in a dedicated and encouraging environment.
An ongoing class with Connie Dyer
For beginners and seasoned students interested in deepening their experience in a simple, profoundly breath-centered movement practice. This class focuses on simple postures and movement to explore how breath supports and transforms us as we move.
Whether you are an experienced yogi, a novice or simply investigating something new, private instruction is a valuable tool for developing your practice. The Movement Center offers private classes to help you develop a practice that is vital, appropriate to you and respectful of your body’s issues. Our experienced instructors are skilled in several different types of yoga and are available for one on one instruction, small group classes, and classes in the workplace.
Each private session is unique – some time spent in conversation, some time spent moving, and often some time will be spent working with the breath. These sessions are especially helpful in getting started with yoga, or if you have special requirements and would feel more at ease in a one on one environment.
If you have a well developed practice, you can use the sessions to explore more advanced postures. You are always encouraged to come prepared with a list of questions or goals.
Why should I come to Private Sessions?
- You are interested in deepening your practice.
- You would like to develop a home practice.
- Group classes don’t suit you or your schedule.
- You would like to focus work on a particular part of your practice that intrigues you.
Common Goals of Private Instruction
DEVELOPING A HOME PRACTICE: Practicing at home is a useful and cost effective supplement to group classes here at The Movement Center. A home practice session typically includes evaluation of your personal goals, strategizing how to make your practice consistent, and a written practice plan. Home practice consultations are very effective when done in conjunction with group yoga classes.
REFINING YOUR PRACTICE: Group class students can benefit from personalized help to refine and energize their yoga practice. These classes typically include more individualized instruction about how to make adaptations and adjustments unique to your individual goals and body.
SPECIAL NEEDS INSTRUCTION: If you are working with a health issue or have special needs, we recommend you take a look at our therapeutic yoga program.
Scheduling a Private Class:
Appointments are available throughout the weekdays, with some evening and weekend times available. We are also happy to arrange for small group classes with friends or family, here or in the workplace.
- 1, 60-minute class: $60
- Series of 3 classes: $165
- Series of 6 classes: $280
Please email us to price a longer series of classes, or to arrange for classes in your workplace.
During pregnancy your body undergoes many changes – postural, hormonal, cardiovascular and muscular – that have a profound impact on your physical and emotional well-being.
Yoga will help you feel your best at every stage, it alleviates many common discomforts of pregnancy, preparing your body and breath for labor and childbirth. After delivery, yoga helps you regain muscle tone.
Yoga is appropriate for virtually everyone, but please check with your healthcare provider first. Yoga is also a fine compliment to other prenatal and fitness programs such as water aerobics and walking.
Yoga practiced as therapy helps put people in touch with the source of healing within to address specific health concerns.
Through skillful combining of movement, breath, and focused awareness, yoga releases deeply held patterns, restores a nourishing flow of physical, mental-emotional, and spiritual energy within the body, and helps you progress toward improved health and wellbeing.
We will work one-on-one with you to create short and longer-term yoga practices that support you as you deal with specific health concerns.
Why choose therapeutic yoga?
Targeted use of carefully aligned movement integrated with breath has been shown to reduce stress, promote healing, enhance immune response, restore muscular balance and structural integrity, alleviate pain, and increase mobility. Consider therapeutic yoga if:
- You have back pain, or other structural issues such as stiffness, pain, or weakness in your neck and shoulders, hips, knees, and feet.
- You are dealing with an illness and want to learn how to reframe your experience and relieve stress in mind and body.
- You are recovering from injury or surgery and want a personal yoga practice informed by a clear medical understanding of your condition that supports your individual needs.
- You are dealing with addiction, insomnia, weight issues, fatigue, anxiety, or depression.
People have come to us for support with the following conditions
- Back pain
- Knee, hip, and shoulder injuries, carpal tunnel syndrome, athletic sprains and strains, herniated discs
- Musculoskeletal alignment issues causing pain, such as scoliosis, sacroiliac joint dysfunction, foot pain
- Post hip or knee replacement support and rehabilitation
- Neurological conditions such as multiple sclerosis, cerebral palsy, Parkinson’s disease, sciatic nerve pain, complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS), and fibromyalgia
- Breathing disorders, such as COPD, asthma, shortness of breath, panic disorder
- Inflammatory conditions such as osteoarthritis , rheumatoid arthritis, and chronic fatigue syndrome
- Endocrine and hormonal disorders including menstrual pain, PMS, and menopause
- Anxiety, depression, insomnia, hyperactivity
- Hypertension, hypotension, dizziness
- Cancer during treatment and recovery
- Muscular dystrophy
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), chronic indigestion, constipation
What to expect
Two initial sessions.
The first session is 90 minutes. It’s a time to establish a rapport with your instructor, and includes movement, conversation, exploration of your goals, and assessment of your needs. You'll leave your first session with the beginnings of your practice, and an initial plan for session two.
Your second session is a 60 minute follow-up. It involves some tweaking of your first practice with additional content. You’ll discuss short term and longer term goals, and work out an interval for scheduling subsequent sessions.
Please come a little early for your first session. The receptionist will have you fill out a standard student waiver.
Wear clothes that allow for ease of movement. Somewhat form-fitting is best so your instructor can observe your structure and movements.
Handouts and followup
Your personal practice sequence is created and explained during the session so you can take it home with you. If you have questions later, you are welcome to contact your teacher between sessions.
Your first two sessions: 150.00
Subsequent 1 hour sessions:
1 session: 70.00
Series of 5 sessions: 315.00
Series of 10 sessions: 595.00
- If a teacher travels to you, additional costs may be incurred. The Movement Center is not able to bill insurance.
- We accept MasterCard, VISA, cash, or personal checks.
- Prepayment is required for all sessions.
- Cancellations must be made 24 hours in advance.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours in advance, a refund will not be issued, however you are welcome to reschedule your session or gift it to another.
- A limited number of sliding scale appointments are available at any given time. Please inquire.
Start here by filling out and submitting an intake form.
Thank you! We look forward to meeting you.