Are you looking for a deeper journey?
Are you motivated by spiritual values? The Movement Center offers an unparalleled opportunity to build a foundation for meditation and yoga that you can maintain long after you’ve returned to the hubbub of the outside world.
Within the dynamic setting of our urban ashram, we invite you to use a personal retreat to develop stillness of mind and greater awareness, two skills that will positively affect every aspect of your life.
Here are a few reasons to do a personal retreat:
- Remove yourself from ordinary distractions to discover the inner you
- De-stress and learn life skills through yoga and meditation
- Take your spiritual practice to a deeper level
- Celebrate a life passage
- Focus on healing and well-being through our Vajrayana practices
- Experience living in a spiritual community
from one of our recent guests….
My time of retreat at The Movement Center was one of letting go, opening, and being filled. From the moment I arrived, I was welcomed warmly by everyone I met and was immediately invited into the community through meals, meditation, yoga classes, and service. I have never experienced a spiritual community like this. I am in awe of the grounding you have gained through the discipline of daily meditation practice. You live consciously together with love and respect and an honoring of life and each other. I feel your connection to God. Your openness and love and warmth flowed right to me. I feel I’ve been at the fountain. I feel loved, honored, and filled. Thank you.
- A recent summer retreat guest
DESIGNING A PROGRAM FOR YOU
Retreats are scheduled around daily group morning and evening meditation, hatha yoga, and self-guided study. Each day you’ll have unstructured time to take walks, rest, journal, read, and simply “be.”
A mentor will meet with you, guide you in your participation, and answer your questions. Private instruction in hatha yoga or the Vajrayana healing practices is available for a reasonable fee.
A sample day:
- Begin your morning in quiet meditation.
- Enjoy a delicious vegetarian breakfast.
- Join others for a group yoga class. Private instruction is available.
- Immerse yourself in daily study and discussion.
- Read, rest, or enjoy a walk.
- Help out around the ashram.
- Go to late afternoon yoga or a meditation workshop.
- Attend evening meditation
- Relax over dinner and get to know others.
Seva (selfless service), is the traditional yoga practice of creating flow with ones environment by giving back. Helping out with seva every day is customary. It’s also a nice way to learn new skills and connect with the ashram community.
The Movement Center is located in a historic building on five acres of lovely lawns and gardens, close to downtown Portland and public transportation.
HOW TO APPLY
To arrange your personal retreat, submit an application on line. Please give us at least 5 days notice in advance of the time you would like to visit. If you have additional questions, please see the FAQS below.